Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: The Tale of the Vampire Bride

The Tale of the Vampire Bride
Rhiannon Frater
Series: Vampire Bride, #1
Release date: December 7th 2009
by Library of Horror Press


 
All Lady Glynis Wright ever wanted was the freedom to live her life as she pleased. When her family becomes guests to one of the most fearsome and powerful vampires of all time, Glynis finds her fate is far more terrible than an arranged marriage. The Tale of the Vampire Bride is sure to thrill fans of the terrible, yet romantic vampires of literary past.

I don't give 5-stars often, in fact, half of the ones I gave this year are all for Rhiannon's As the World Dies series, so I was a bit afraid to give this a 5 and have you think it's only because I heart Rhiannon, thus I'm biased, but no, she deserves every single one of these stars. I guess in a way I am biased, she's just one of those authors who could make restaurant menus the best thing you've read all year. She takes a story and gives it heart, filling it with characters who bring it to life; The Tale of the Vampire Bride is no exception.

Set in the 1800s, we go back to the traditional vampire folklore in this old school Dracula tale, which takes us into the life of Lady Glynis Wright and her dark, violent fate as a vampire bride. I was a bit wary at first because I'm not often a fan of stories set in past eras, but once I started reading I could not put it down. The prose is wonderful, I never felt overwhelmed by the old-fashioned ambiance. In fact, I was so entranced by it that the other book I was reading felt too modern. As I keep saying, Rhiannon has a way of addicting you to her words. There is constantly something happening that has you especially intrigued, therefore, you can't ever bare to quit. From beginning to end, the suspense will keep you on your toes, the horror will leave your eyes wide, but don't worry, Glynis stumbles into the arms of a sexy, mysterious lover, giving us a romance that will make your heart aflutter.

Lady Glynis Wright, what can I say? I'm absolutely thrilled by her character. She's stubborn, incredibly determined, and grows immensely throughout the novel. This is another thing I love about Rhiannon's books, her characters are ALIVE. They have depth, personality; they are imperfect and get right inside your heart. Evil and merciless, Vlad is a despicable villain. However, at the same time, he's terribly fascinating. I wanted to know everything about him: his intentions, his past, his customs. Sorry to break it to you, though: this one, he doesn't sparkle.

The setting: I absolutely loved it! The castle, the towns, the carriages - it's all hauntingly beautiful. We're taken back into an era where there are no cars, no electricity, small town living; same as her characters, this is all brought to life. I could see myself walking the streets of Buda, and the Castle halls. It really has incredible charm that's constantly peeking through all the animosity.

Even if you're not familiar with the classic Dracula tale, vampire fans who are craving for an honest to goodness old school vampire story can truly find it all in The Tale of the Vampire Bride. We've got horror, romance, plenty of twists, non stop action, all narrated by a strong, defiant heroine that you will simply adore. 


5 Hot Espressos

Cover Redesign Photoshoot
Be on the lookout for a new cover make-over for this series. Here's some pics from the photoshoot! I love them so much I just had to share. Who else can't wait for the finished product? It's going to be gorgeous!
Photographed by Helena Cruz