Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Girls Don't Cry: The Bad Boy!

Inspired by Book Buzzers, Book Girls Don't Cry is a weekly feature where we each discuss/vent/advise on the chosen weekly bookish topic. Don't miss Jenni on Mondays, and Amy on Saturdays:

Thanks to Mel of The Daily Prophecy for suggesting this week's topic!

The Bad Boy: When Bad... Is Too Bad


Has anyone else noticed a trend this past year? A Bad Boy trend? You know, the bad boys that are literally jerkfaces that you want to slap rather than swoon like we're meant to be doing? I know I have, and this lady *points at self* is not biting!

Don't get me wrong. I love the bad boy type, the one who gets rough and gritty (get your heads out of the gutter now!!), but, and this is the important part ladies, underneath that tough exterior he needs to have a heart! I will never understand how I'm supposed to swoon over guys who are complete asses, who control and manipulate, who think they own woman, think it's ok to demean them, treat them like a prize. What annoys me the most is when books with a guy like this gives out the message that they can be changed--we only need to help them! *eyeroll* I'm sorry, but that is just not a turn-on for me and it will never be. And it's unfortunate that I've started seeing more and more of this kind of character in YA books as of late.

Anyways, I'm on a rampant here obviously, >.<
So let's see who made the jerkface cut:
 
 Ahem *clears throats*, ok so, here is a direct quote from Venus City:
"The link that bonds us", he said […] "has nothing to do with mind control, as you suspect. It's merely a tool meant to make you do as I say"
Yeah...

And one from Of Poseidon:
"He scours his memory for a sweet-natured Syrena who would take care of him, who would do whatever he asked, who would never argue with him."

You turned on yet? Does this tickle anyone's fancy? O_O

As for Enclave, the dude is a rapist, a gang rapist, and she begins to for him. *barf*

Now, to be honest, I didn't even read Fifty Shades and Nobody But Us because I was warned. I doubt I have to explain myself about Fifty Shades. I've read enough reviews, seen enough sickening passages from the book to know better. I mean, isn't the girl scared she's gonna get beat up for half the book? Eeh no thanks. This book has the perfect example of this ridiculous "but you can change him!" mentality.

And it's funny because I'm friends with Rhiannon Frater who wrote a Dracula story and describes Dracula as this sick bastard who rapes and beats up woman, using them as his slaves; his vampire brides. And you would not believe how often she's asked by a hopeful fan if Dracula is going to be a love interest. Eh, no? Gross! When did misogyny become romantic or sexy? When did woman start fantasizing about abusive love interests? Is it the danger? Sure, danger can be sexy, but there needs to be a line!



The wall of bad boy fame!

The bad boy can be good. He can have a heart and a kind soul, he's simply a damaged individual who's had a bit too much to deal with. I consider them more like a tortured hero! ;)

So without further ado, here are some bad boys to swoon over!


These all became favorites of mine as well because I really DO love bad boys--my favorite kind of love interest, even. But they have to have heart, ladies, because you know, without a heart, they can just suck it!

So, I know you all have something to say, now, don't ya?
Le me know what YOU think of this truly bad bad-boy trend!


Also, don't forget to leave suggestions for future topics you'd like to see! :)

You know you love me!
Xoxo, Book Girl!