Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett



Confessions of an Angry Girl
Louise Rozett
Series: Confessions #1
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication date: August 28th 2012
by Harlequin Teen


Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
-A copy was provided by Harlequin Teen for review-

If it wasn't for my friends' recommendations I don't think I would have read this book. The synopsis makes it sound like it involves an annoying, bratty main character who whines and complains about stupid high school stuff. Lucky for them, my friends didn't fail me and I found myself really enjoying it. The protagonist, Rose, is a little younger than I usually like my MCs - at only 14 and starting high school - but in a way it brought me back to how jarring it can be to go from one grade to the next where, suddenly, the rules are different, boyfriends and sex seem to be constant hot topics, and popularity seems to be what counts.

Rose is someone I think a lot of people could relate to. For many, starting high school was not an easy - or a welcome - change. Rose is the awkward, confused girl who's feeling like a clueless kid when all her friends seem to be miles ahead of her. On top of everything, she is also dealing with the recent death of her father. Her character could be fairly judgmental at times, even a little prudish, and while she's simply overwhelmed and confused, having been jarred by the sudden changes in her life, I can't say I particularly liked her from the start. Still, I found myself sympathizing with her for how she was made to feel so alone. I also admired her for sticking to what she believed in, and doing the right thing knowing the dire consequences it would bring. It's not everyone who can stay so true to themselves in high school with all the pressures it entails. Most of the book is Rose trying to find where she fits in this big world she was thrown in. Her not fitting in anymore has made her angry, and you could clearly feel her confusion throughout.

I'm not sure how I feel about the romance in the book. Jamie confused me as much as he did her. He has a girlfriend, or so it seems, yet he keeps running to Rose. Then when Rose gets in trouble with this girlfriend he does nothing to defend her. It irritated me in a way that I didn't find him worthy of Rose at all. It's hard to discern what about him had Rose so charmed. I was actually rooting for her friend Robert who is incredibly sweet and obviously in love with her, but for some reason she doesn't feel the same. The novel doesn't dwell on the romance completely, though; the plot keeps its focus on Rose figuring herself out.

Topics in this book range from bullying, to death, to friendship, and family. Her father's passing gives this story quite a bit of emotional depth - more than I was expecting in this type of book. I could easily feel Rose's grief overshadowing her. How her family is dealing with the pain is realistic as well as disheartening, having yet to heal from this sudden gaping hole in their lives. This, along with everything else that is happening at school, forced Rose to grow up. And she does. At the end of the book I found she was a much more determined and confident girl, showing some great character growth. One result of this growth made me especially satisfied at the end, and I can't wait to see its delightful unraveling in the sequel. *evil laugh*

Filled with sarcasm and loud opinions, Confession of an Angry Girl is perfect for when you're looking for your next high-school drama with a lot of heart.

4 Hot Espressos